Thursday, December 5, 2013

2010/02/19 - About 媽咪阿公。。。


2010-02-19

Dear Aaron & Anakin,

Your grandpa gave us all, including himself, a scare on Tuesday.  He went into the emergency room as an out-patient, but diagnosed with 急性心肌哽塞.  A large portion of his heart was already damaged and a large portion of his lung was already 積水.  The situation was very serious, even your uncle 志豪 said so when he saw the X-ray.  The doctors gave him emergency 心導管.  Most fortunately, the operation was successful and he recovered smoothly.  However, this incident prompted me to write to you about your grandpa, in case another mishap happens and you do not get the chance to know him.

Your grandpa was a good father, a very good son and son-in-law.  He has a kind and forgiving heart.  Before this incident, he has been a very familiar visitor of ICU, but always as a caretaker.  When your great grandma (your grandpa’s mom) and great grandpa (your grandma’s dad) were hospitalized and being in and out of ICU, grandpa was the one frequented the hospital.  He bathed great grandma and great grandpa, changed their diapers, fed them, and accompanied them.  He did all those tasks with great enthusiasm and not the slightest complain in anyway.

When facing the wrong doing of others, he always gives them the benefits of the doubt.  For example, once grandpa was in the car with me and your Babi.  A car stopped in the middle of the traffic in the fast lane, created traffic.  Your Babi’s reaction was“這人會不會開車啊 said with annoyance; your grandpa’s was “他車是不是出了什麼問題”said with a general concern. 

Grampa was also quick to forgive.  When your grandpa had been financially well off, he gave to his brother and sisters and their children big red envelopes every Chinese New Year and during special occasions.  He always bought his brother (your great uncle) vitamins whenever he visits the States.  However, when grandpa fell financially, all his brothers and sisters turned on him.  Not only would they not loan him money, but they also belittled him during their interactions.  However, grandpa never uttered a word of ill meaning on them.  In fact, when we were complaining how selfish his brother and sisters were, he found them excuses.

Perhaps it was due to his kindness that he survived this trial.

Mommy has always been your grandpa’s little girl.  I think I sat on his laps until I became a mother myself with Aaron.  He gave me the freedom to determine my career, though he always believed that I should enter early childhood education.  He always said “妳很愛小孩子,就去做幼稚園老師,每天帶孩子唱唱跳跳,不是很快樂嗎?But mommy felt like I had to prove to him that I am a girl worthy of something.  So, against his advice, I majored in business as an undergrad.  After college, he said “回來台灣做英文老師。So I decided to stay in Boston to work as a consultant.  After two years in consulting, he said女孩子還是要組織家庭。” So I went to Carnegie Mellon of get my MBA.  He said “你電腦不好。” So I went to work as system integration consultant as Computer Sciences Corp after MBA.  I was always defying him, wanting to prove that I can be a 女強人。 The funny thing is that daddy knows his little girl best, and his little girl I will always be.  After Aaron’s arrival, my life shifted gear and now I am just as he had imagined me to be… and I am all the happier~


後記: 2013/12/06

Almost 4 years after that incident, 媽咪阿公 is healthily celebrating his 72 birthday~

He has been spending so much time with you two in the past 4 years, taking you to school and picking you up after school.  Playing with you while mommy prepares dinner.  你們兩個每天都阿公長、阿公短的。

I am so grateful that he’s been building these memories with you.  So that one day, when the inevitable comes, you two will be able to share with me our memories of him.  May God bless 阿公 to be with us for more time to build up our family memories and tradition.


2010/07/24 - Daddy & Anakin



2010/12/05


  
2011/02/28 - 六福村關西 hotel 

2012/11/23 - Anakin 3-YO birthday
















2013/02/10 - 月世界

No comments:

Post a Comment